Soroptimist International of Kawartha Lakes is a women’s service club in Lindsay which seeks to improve the lives of women and girls both locally and internationally.
Every year we offer an Awards Program where a 'cash equivalency'** award is given to a woman who is struggling financially but trying to better life for herself and her dependents by attaining higher education. The ‘Live Your Dream Education and Training Awards for Women’ offers $2,000 in award monies. The Kawartha Lakes club may also offer a $750 second place award. Further money can be won at other levels of the competition; $3,000 - $5,000 U.S. at Regional, and $10,000 U.S. at the International level.
**'Cash equivalency' may be a cheque directly to the recipient or given in any number of methods; eg: paid directly to the school for tuition/books; pre-paid credit card; payment directly to other accounts; - not to compromise any other types of government remuneration.
Eligible applicants must fill out one of our Live Your Dream Education & Training Award Applications and have two references fill out the Reference Form.
Who is eligible?
You are eligible to apply for the Soroptimist Live Your Dream Awards if you are a woman who:
- Provides the primary financial support for yourself and your dependents. Dependents can include children, spouse, partner, siblings and/or parents.
- Has financial need.
- Is enrolled in or has been accepted to a vocational/skills training program or an undergraduate degree program.
- Does not have a graduate degree.
- Is motivated to achieve your education and career goals.
- Has not previously been the recipient of a Soroptimist Women’s Opportunity or Live Your Dream Award.
- Is not a Soroptimist member, an employee of Soroptimist International of the Americas or immediate family of either.
Before You Apply
If you'd like to get a head start, here are a few things you can do to prepare for your application:
- Plan who your two references will be: No need to collect letters. We'll provide a form for your references to complete when the application process opens up. Until then, think about who your two biggest cheerleaders are ... they can be mentors, teachers, counselors, supervisors, colleagues, or case managers.
- Draft your personal statement: The Live Your Dream Award is all about helping women who have faced economic and personal hardships to live their dreams. Since 1972, the award has provided tens of thousands of women with cash grants to help them achieve their educational and career goals. The program helps women build a better life for themselves and their families. In 750 words or less, tell us about the challenges you’ve faced and how you think this award could help you to live your dream.
START YOUR APPLICATION
The most challenging aspect of this program is getting the applications into the hands of eligible women. If assistance is required in completing these forms, please contact us. We will be pleased to work with you.